I can’t speak for everyone, but I go through times where I absolutely crave sushi. Unfortunately, due to my intolerances, I am unable to go out to restaurants & grab a quick bite. I won’t let that little thing stop me from eating my favorite foods! I never knew how easy sushi was to make! The most time-consuming part is prepping your ingredients, but that’s easy! (I prep all my ingredients while my quinoa is steaming). I know my way of making sushi is far from conventional, but the end result is beautiful & delicious! I believe you all will agree.
Ingredients (makes 8 rolls):
- 1 package nori sheets
- 2 Cups prepared red quinoa (or color of choice. I enjoy the nutty flavor of the red quinoa)
- 2 avocados, sliced 1/4 inch wide
- Avocado, Cucumber, Sweet Potato Rolls:
- 2 cucumbers, sliced 1/4 inch wide
- 1 medium sweet potato, julliened & steamed
- Avocado, Mango, Spinach Rolls:
- 1 ripe mango, sliced 1/4 inch wide
- 1 Cup baby spinach
Spicy Mayo sauce
- 1 Tablespoon vegan mayonnaise (you can use Vegenaise or make a batch using this recipe here!)
- 2 teaspoons organic chili powder, or 1 Tablespoon Sriracha sauce (you can add more depending on your heat tolerance!)
Spicy Nut Butter Sauce
- 1/4 Cup warm water
- 1/4 Cup organic peanut/almond/cashew/sunflower butter
- 2 Tablespoons GF organic Tamari sauce (or GF soy sauce)
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 Tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon organic garlic powder
- Whisk ingredients together until the nut butter is fully incorporated.
- Lay a nori sheet shiny-faced down. Add 1/3 Cup of your prepared red quinoa to your your nori sheet, leaving a 1/2 inch edge at the top, spread the quinoa out and press down on your nori sheet.
- To prepare the avocado, cucumber, sweet potato roll, add a few pieces of your steamed sweet potato, avocado, and cucumber at the bottom edge. Carefully lift your bottom edge and prepare to roll. When you lift your edge it helps to use your forefingers and thumbs to keep your fillings in place. Tightly roll your sushi, pressing firmly with each roll. Use a very sharp knife to slice 1-inch pieces.
- To prepare your avocado, mango, spinach roll, lay about 1/4 Cup of your spinach at the bottom edge, topped off with a few pieces of mango and avocado. Roll as instructed above.
Enjoy eating whole!