Stuffing has been a staple since Ancient Rome (want to read up on the history? Check out The History of Stuffing.) Most serve stuffing during the Holidays, but you shouldn’t stop serving it then; it’s delicious and a true comfort food any time of the year! To add variety, add 1 Cup chopped walnuts and diced apples for a delicious change. The plated photos incorporate my Orange Zested Cranberry Sauce, Protein Packed Loaf and Gratifying Gravy.
- 1 loaf of gluten-free bread, cubed
- 4 stalks of organic celery, diced
- 4 organic carrots, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons organic dried sage
- 1 teaspoon organic dried thyme
- 1 Tablespoon organic extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 Cup organic baby portabella mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 Cup organic shitake mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 cup organic white cooking wine
- 1 Cup vegetable stock
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. On a baking sheet, spread your cubed bread evenly & toast for about 10-15 minutes until toasted, flipping your pieces half way through. (You may also use your toaster). Once your bread is toasted, set aside.
- In a saute pan on medium-high heat, add your oil, mushrooms, and carrots and saute for 7 minutes. Add your celery and spices & cook for an additional 5-7 minutes. Pour in your white cooking wine & vegetable stock. Simmer until the liquid has cooked down to half.
- In a baking dish, toss in your toasted bread & add the contents of your sauce pan. Give the stuffing a stir to make sure everything is incorporated. If your stuffing is a little dry, add 1/4 Cup of vegetable stock.Bake for about 25-30 minutes.
- Enjoy eating whole!